Van Nuys is a neighborhood in the central San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles, California. Home to Van Nuys Airport and the Valley Municipal Building, it is the only neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley with a population of more than 100,000. Van Nuys, a neighborhood within the San Fernando Valley, is named after a developer of the same name — Mr. Van Nuys. Families with kids of all ages will find lots of fun things to do here: Public Observation Area at Van Nuys Airport Off of Woodley Ave. at the end of Waterman Dr., Van Nuys, CA.
The Van Nuys Airport "ranks as one of the world’s busiest general aviation airports." If your kids are interested in airplanes (this airport is for noncommercial air travel), take them to the Airport’s Public Observation Area. This part of the airport features "permanent displays, special children’s exhibits and a continuous live broadcast of air traffic controllers in the airport’s control tower." The Observation Area is open daily from 8 am to sunset.
Woodley Park is not your regular park. Here, you’ll find common amenities such as barbecue pits, picnic tables, a children’s play area and a baseball diamond. But you’ll also find an archery range and cricket field here as well. The large grassy areas make it an ideal spot for flying a kite!
The Van Nuys Branch Library is a part of the Los Angeles Public library System. The library hosts many special family-friendly activities and events including story times, Movie Saturdays, special performances, Teen Tech Month and more. Students will also appreciate the "Student Zone," open Monday through Friday. Students in grades 4 -12 may sign in to use the resources, equipment and supplies to assist with homework assignments. The library is closed on Sundays.
Within busy San Fernando Valley, you’ll find this peaceful escape — a 6 1/2 acre garden, which is actually three gardens in one. The Japanese Garden is adjacent to a water reclamation plant. The garden is "fashioned after those strolling gardens which were built during the 18th and 19th centuries for Japanese feudal lords on their vast estates." Additionally, the Garden is designed to be enjoyed during each of the four seasons and offers a variety of blooming flowers throughout the year. The Garden is open Monday through Thursday from 11 am to 4 pm and on Sundays from 10 am to 4 pm. (The Garden is closed on Fridays and Saturdays). Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for seniors (62 and older) and $3 for children 12 and younger. No outside food is allowed within the garden (only water).
Families of all ages and skill abilities can have a good time skating at Iceland Ice Skating Center. They offer classes (hockey and figure skating), serve as a birthday party venue and host public skate sessions. Children 12 and younger may skate with a "walker" which helps them with balance on the ice.
Get ready for some outdoor fun at Van Nuys Recreation Center. You’ll find something for every member of the family here. The facility offers special classes, after-school programs and special events. In addition, families will enjoy the tennis courts, children’s play area, basketball courts, baseball diamond, soccer field and more.
The Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Preserve is a 225-acre site featuring a bird refuge island and native plant revegetation. Bring the binoculars and get ready to bird watch. Take a walk on one of the trails and be on the lookout for egrets, geese, ducks and more. The area is actually divided into the South Reserve and the North Reserve. You can find trail maps online.
Pump It Up is a popular venue for children’s birthday parties. In addition, they offer "Open Jump" sessions allowing kids to explore and have fun in their indoor play space featuring huge inflatables. Open Jump is usually available during the week; check the website for more information. Socks are required and children must be at least 34 inches tall to play.
Beeps has been a Van Nuys favorite since 1956. This classic diner is open seven days a week and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner all day long. They offer a large menu, reasonable prices and daily specials. Don’t forget to save room for one of their "fountain treats" such as a sundae, banana split, shake, or malt. (Be warned though — customers mention that parking can be challenging and the restaurant does not have a public restroom).
Although you’ll still be in Van Nuys, you may temporarily feel as if you’ve traveled somewhere further away. Take a walk around Lake Balboa and enjoy the scenery. Take advantage of the jogging/walking path and the bike path here. Kids will love seeing ducks and have lots of fun at the maritime-themed play area.
Sky Zone is described as "the world’s first indoor trampoline park." Here, you and your kids will be active and will feel as if you’re flying. The facility offers Freestyle Jump, a SkySlam court, Ultimate Dodgeball and a Foam Zone. Tickets can be purchased online.
Many different classes and programs are offered at Delano Recreation Center including basketball, ballet and summer camp, to name a few. In addition, the park offers a children’s play area as well as large grassy areas perfect for games of tag and catch.
The American West Destinations
- Flights To Aspen, Colorado
- Flights To Atherton, California
- Flights To Beverly Hills, California
- Flights To Boise, Idaho
- Flights To Burlingame, California
- Flights To Carson City, Nevada
- Flights To Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Flights To Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Flights To Columbia River, Oregon
- Flights To Denver, Colorado
- Flights To Helena, Montana
- Flights To Hidden Hills, California
- Flights To Hillsborough, California
- Flights To Honolulu, Hawaii
- Flights To Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- Flights To Juneau, Alaska
- Flights To Kauai, Hawaii
- Flights To Kona, Hawaii
- Flights To Lanai, Hawaii
- Flights To Las Vegas, Nevada
- Flights To Los Altos Hills, California
- Flights To Los Angeles, California
- Flights To Los Gatos, California
- Flights To Malibu, California
- Flights To Manhattan Beach, California
- Flights To Maui, Hawaii
- Flights To Medina, Washington
- Flights To Montecito, California
- Flights To Mountain View, California
- Flights To Newport Beach, California
- Flights To Olympia, Washington
- Flights To Palo Alto,California
- Flights To Phoenix, Arizona
- Flights To Portland, Oregon
- Flights To Portola, California
- Flights To Rancho Santa Fe, California
- Flights To Ross/Fort Ross California
- Flights To Sacramento, California
- Flights To Salem, Oregon
- Flights To Salt Lake City, Utah
- Flights To San Diego, California
- Flights To San Francisco, California
- Flights To San Jose, California
- Flights To San Marino, California
- Flights To Santa Ana, California
- Flights To Santa Barbara, California
- Flights To Santa Fe, New-Mexico
- Flights To Santa Monica, California
- Flights To Saratoga, California
- Flights To Stanford, California
- Flights To Stinson Beach, California
- Flights To Telluride, Colorado
- Flights To Tiburon, California
- Flights To tucson, Arizona
- Flights To Vail, Colorado
- Flights To Van Nuys, California
- Flights To Woodside, California
- Flights To Woody Creek, Colorado