The capital of West Virginia, Charleston is a beautiful riverfront city that offers many great things to see and do. Plan a weekend trip and see the historic State Capitol, shop at the outdoor Capitol Market and spend an afternoon at the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences. Learn about the history of West Virginia at the State Museum and listen to a performance by the West Virginia Symphony Orchestra. Here are the best things to do in Charleston, WV.
The East End is an eclectic, diverse community, one of the oldest in Charleston. Bordered by the busy Washington Street on the north and Great Kanawha River on the south, this neighborhood is a charming mix of new businesses and old mansions and it also features the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences of West Virginia, the State Capitol, the Capitol Market, the West Virginia Power baseball team, delightful B&Bs and grand hotels, popular bars and great restaurants. If you are wondering what to do in Charleston today, this is a great place to start exploring.
Its architecture ranges in styles from Greek Revival to the late Victorian and anything in between. It is vibrant, fun and timeless. The best time to visit the East End is during the Street Works Celebration when the city streets turn into a spectacular art gallery.
West Virginia’s State Capitol, the seat of government for the state, is located at the State Capitol Complex on Kanawha Boulevard East in downtown Charleston and is one of the top Charleston WV attractions.
Completed in 1932, this building and the West Virginia Executive Mansion make up the West Virginia Capitol Complex, which is a historic area listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The location of the state’s capital changed several times between Charleston and Wheeling until the capital was finally established in Charleston in 1921. At 292 feet (89 meters), it is the tallest building in the state.
Facing the Kanawha River, there are two wings that flank the main capitol. Tours of the 333-room building are also available.
The American Midwest Destinations
- Flights To Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Flights To Austin, Texas
- Flights To Charleston, West Virginia
- Flights To Chicago, Illinois
- Flights To Columbus, Ohio
- Flights To Dallas / Fort-Worth, Texas
- Flights To Des Moines, Iowa
- Flights To Franfort, Kentucky
- Flights To Houston, Texas
- Flights To Indianapolis, Indiana
- Flights To Jefferson City, Missouri
- Flights To Kansas City, Missouri
- Flights To Lansing, Michigan
- Flights To Lincoln, Nebraska
- Flights To Little Rock, Arkansas
- Flights To Madison, Wisconsin
- Flights To Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Flights To Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Flights To Omaha, Nebraska
- Flights To Pierre, South Dakota
- Flights To Saint Paul, Minnesota
- Flights To San Antonio, Texas
- Flights To South Bend, Indiana
- Flights To Springfield, Illinois
- Flights To Topeka, Kansas
- Flights To Traverse, Michigan